Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Letter to My Representative

My letter to my Congresswoman, Donna Edwards.

October 28, 2009

The Honorable Donna Edwards
United States House of Representatives
Washington, D.C. 20515

Dear Representative Edwards:

My name is Lawrence Smoot, I am a constituent and supporter of yours. I pen this missive to you today to impress on you the importance of supporting H.R. 3200. I believe that you understand how vital it is that we bring our country to the same high level of health care that other industrialized nations cherish.

It is my belief this can be done without adding to the cost of our healthcare plans – an excise tax on health plans will ratchet up the cost for the employer and decrease the benefits the workers currently value and enjoy. I myself recently underwent the placement of a stent to clear blockage in a major artery leading to my heart. Without the current level of benefits I have I may not have been able to afford the surgery and would instead be living on borrowed time – an expensive and or fatal heart attack just waiting in the shadows.

I’m asking at this very moment, that you pledge to support affordable, quality health care for everyone that:

Doesn’t tax the benefits of working families like mine.

Requires every employer, except the smallest ones, to either cover their workers or pay into a fund.

Gives people a choice of private and public health insurance plans.


The concerns mentioned above are part of H.R. 3200. I know you have been a vigorous defender of working people in the past. That is why I voted for you and will continue to do so in the future. Please make this bill as strong as you possibly can.

If done right – this historic health care reform will lift this country and its people into a more secure future. FDR knew and understood this when he mentioned a “…second bill of rights…” in his historic State of the Union Address in 1944. Sixty five years have passed since that day – the American people have waited far too long for “the right” of health care.

Please – let’s make history again.


Sincerely,


Lawrence R. Smoot Jr.



No comments: