Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Adult Education - It Could Happen?

Do you wonder like me? Do you find it easier or harder to learn things as you get older? It seems that when I was much younger new technology was simple. I never had to read directions for that new gadget - I just made it work and within 15 minutes knew everything about it!

Today is so very different; granted the technology is much more sophisticated than it used to be but still, is it just me? Currently I am working on learning more about being a "webmaster". The first thing I have learned is that there are now more definitions for a "webmaster" than you can shake that proverbial stick at - and we're talking a big stick here! I was told by one online school when asked where to start..."with the fundamentals" they replied. Okay I thought, let's take a look and see. Well, there were three very different fundamental courses listed. It would have been nice if they would have said which one was best for a beginner webmaster.

I looked them over and picked one. Paid my $169.00 via my credit card, then waited. The books arrived a few days later. As I looked them over I thought "are these for webmaster or network administrator?". I have agonized over thoughts of continuing and moving ahead with the reading - getting certified in whatever it is that I'm reading or go to a community college and take night and weekend classes for a more structured approach.

It's in my nature to push through - not sure if it is always a good thing or not but I will read on. (If you hear a thump, it's just my head hitting the desk) Ya, the stuff is dry as a post with bits of interesting sprinkled here and there.

As I read on and the author speaks about UNIX and other systems my mind keeps drifting to mundane things -- has that bill been paid, should I cut the grass, has the dog been bathed lately? "Come on now, keep to the subject!" that inner voice screams to me. Why can't the inner voice study and let me know what's going on later when I'm more awake and apt to paying attention?

I tell myself each and every day that I will go home right after work and study.

I go home each night, fix dinner and watch TV.

Time is short. I need to finish this course ASAP or at least by November. Tonight I study. I am resolute in my decision.

So I'm back at the original question -- is it harder to learn as an adult or do you just find the right education method that fits you? I'll think about that and another nagging question: What's for dinner tonight? (sigh)

No comments: