Thursday, August 09, 2007

Hairspray - 2007

Divine should be spinning his wig off in the grave! I have enjoyed Travolta in other films, but let's see the light here -- whoever decided that he should play this role in Hairspray has laid a huge egg. I had an open mind going in, but had to work way to hard throughout the entire film suspending reality each time Travolta hit the screen. It made me wonder if he ever watched and really paid attention to how a woman moves or speaks -- I have seen some pretty bad drag in my day...and this will go on that list. John...please, please never try this sort of thing again.

On to the rest of the cast -- they were wonderful! I was a bit disappointed that this was not filmed in Baltimore (The big studio should have kept up with a great Water's tradition) Baltimore is as much a cast member as any actor when it comes to anything Water creates.

Christopher Walken -- as always he is fabulous. He is the actor's actor.

I'm sure they could have done something else with the Queen's wardrobe, but maybe they were trying to make her look older than she is? Could have been a much more amazing wardrobe for her. (and yes, she was fabulous too).

All in all, the numbers performed were fun and engaging. Fun music and even a touching moment here and there. I will admit that Travolta's best moment is a love song and dance scene with Walken - but trust me it was Walken's spark that lit that scene. It is well worth a matinee price or video rental -- but if you must buy a DVD purchase the original with Divine; that is the one you should study in film class.

No comments: