Thursday, July 16, 2009

Mattew Shepard Hate Crimes Prevention Act

Yesterday, the senior Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee, Senator John McCain (AZ), protested that the hate crimes amendment would be an inappropriate addition to the Department of Defense authorization bill.

"Speaking on the Senate floor, Senator McCain stated:

"This is a complete abdication of the responsibilities of the Judiciary Committee, but, more importantly, could hang up this bill for a long time while we have young Americans fighting and dying in two wars."

Is it just me, or is he saying it upsets him when "young Americans" die outside the US but he's okay with "young Americans" and other Americans dying within the US? How incredulous! He is blinded like many, with a prejudice that they would say they did not have. Well, guess what Senator, we know. I am sick and tired of people being "expendable" just because they are LGBT. There will be hate crimes law, whether it is now or a little later, but it will happen; just as same sex marriage will happen by the way. (yup, had to toss that at ya too.)

I feel strongly that funding for our military is crucial. I myself am a veteran; my last four years in the Army had been spent in a special forces aviation unit. (To those of you who know, our unit motto was,"Death Waits in the Dark") I am proud of my years serving my country. Make no mistake -- I wore that uniform to protect the rights of all Americans, not just some. So, in the end, at least for today -- Shame on John McCain for thinking less of the lives of victims of hate crimes. People killed or injured by the actions of those committing hate crimes are just as valuable and worthy of our protection, of our prayers and of our humanity as any soldier fighting on our behalf in lands so far from our own shores.

I myself have been a victim of hate crimes before the phrase was even part of the American lexicon. I was fortunate that those same skills I learned as a soldier saved me here at home when people thought that the words "gay man" were interchangeable with "weak and helpless". I fought physically against hate then, and I will continue to fight against it today and in the future in any way I can.

The day will come, it is near at hand -- we will, in a unified vision, see the dawn rise on that amazing day!

1 comment:

Danae said...

Amen!